Aerial Photos of Green Turtle Cay (Post-Dorian)

Hi, all. Below are a number of high-res photos of Green Turtle Cay taken during a fly-over shortly after Hurricane Dorian. I’ve tried to put them in order roughly from north to south.

As you can see, some homes have been lost all together and most others are heavily damaged. Our family and friends on the cay and throughout Abaco and Grand Bahama need as much help as we can give them in the weeks, months and years ahead. Here’s How You Can Help.

North End of Green Turtle Cay
Coco Bay
North End of White Sound
Bluff House and Surrounding Area
Bethel Estates
Boat Yard/Other Shore Club at top left
Black Sound
Leeward Yacht Club

Photos of the settlement of New Plymouth, GTC’s main “town”.

The Settlement of New Plymouth – Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas

8 comments for “Aerial Photos of Green Turtle Cay (Post-Dorian)

1. Kurt lewin
    September 9, 2019 at 1:51 pm

2. Reggie Patterson
    September 9, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Amanda, at first glance, bad as it is, I don’t see the devastation of ’32. Enough of the buildings in town remain standing, that even though most are damaged, repairs can put them back together. Hope Town seems to be in a similar state. The people on the cays will rebuild their communities. Marsh Harbour and environs are another matter altogether.

3. Greg
    September 9, 2019 at 6:25 pm

Thank you for the photos!

4. Tammi Lowe
    September 9, 2019 at 7:25 pm

Amanda, Praying your home was spared. I heard Alton evacuated to FL…wondering if his house is still standing? From these photos it looks like the Museum is still standing!

5. September 9, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Speechless…..

6. September 10, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Hi!

I stumbled on this blog while Dorian was beating down on you, through a rather unusual method. I’m a Waze volunteer map editor (though people there probably don’t need or use Waze), and we were trying to map official shelters on the Bahamian Government’s shelter list. The “address” of the Amy Roberts Primary School (“Top of the hill in New Plymouth. Behind BTC. Pink and white buildings completely fenced in.”) intrigued me. It took several of us, and a lot of digging, to be able to locate it on the satellite imagery.

In the process, I found your “Little House by the Ferry” Blog . . . and fell in love with your small island. I’ve enjoyed reading a lot of your posts (and watching some of your construction videos), and I appreciated seeing the pictures you shared above. It appears that the school at least lost some shingles . . . a little hard to tell from the angle of the photos if there was any additional damage.

I haven’t been quite able to pinpoint Fish Hooks in the pictures . . . how did it fare?

Kathy

P. S. I’ve been praying for all of you, have subscribed to your blog . . . and will enjoy future posts, and following the cleanup progress. Wish I could come help!

7. September 10, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Thank you for the aerial photography of Green Turtle Cay. Very sad, but I hope the people have the fortitude and means to rebuild. They should know many people want to come back and visit to share their warm and generous hospitality. What beautiful people. God bless!

8. September 11, 2019 at 9:11 am

These pictures remind me very much of what our area in Southeast Tennessee looked like after an EF-5 tornado ripped through it in April, 2011 . . . . Given the size of the island, and the width of the 25-mile-long path of tornado destruction . . . (8 1/2 years later, there are still scars.)

The biggest difference is that we could drive out of the destroyed area, and find the things we needed. You can’t.

By comparing the picture at the head of your blog to Google Maps and the aerial photographs above, I think I found Fish Hooks. If I’m correct, I’m glad to see that the house is still standing, though it appears that there is, at the minimum, roof damage.