Recognize Any of These Marsh Harbour Folks?

Recently, I came across this picture while going through some old photographs from the Albury branch of my family tree. Thanks to my late cousin, Jack Albury, we know the photo was taken in Marsh Harbour and the subjects were part of a church group. My best guess is that it was taken during the 1920s.

Jack confirmed that #8 was Minnie Albury Collins, and another of our cousins, Phillip Sawyer, identified #4 as Florena Albury Sawyer (his mother) and provided first names for all of the other folks in the photo.

But it would be great to fully identify the others — does anyone know who Mana, Vernie, Clarence, Gladys, Neva and Chester are?

We know that Minnie Albury Collins’ sister Maisie married a man named Clarence Roberts – so it’s possible that’s who #3 is. But it would be great to know for sure.

I’ve got a number of other photos of unidentified Abaco folks to share in the days ahead, so get your thinking caps on!

8 comments for “Recognize Any of These Marsh Harbour Folks?

1. May 13, 2019 at 3:33 am

Sorry can’t help, but I do enjoy seeing that fellow genealogists have old family related photos like this. Beyond my parents I have none, all swept away when our home was flooded in 1967!

• May 13, 2019 at 7:44 am

Oh, no, Dr. B., that’s terrible. We actually have a lot of stories like that here on Green Turtle Cay as well. When I was doing research for my book, I was looking for old photos of the cay. Many people told me that their historic family photos and records had been destroyed during the 1932 hurricane. Marsh Harbour had a similar hurricane in 1926, and a similar loss of historic information. We’re fortunate to have the few images that did survive.

Liked by 1 person

• May 13, 2019 at 8:41 am

Yes, extremely fortunate. The photo I miss the most is one of my dad in his Coldstream Guards, 1st Battalion uniform, during WW2. You know it probably, bright red tunic, black Bearskin hat under his arm!

2. joylowejossi
    May 13, 2019 at 8:27 am

Hello Amanda, this photo I have from my mother Fanny Lowe, born 1903 at Marsh Harbour. It is a group who worshipped at Ebenezer Gospel Hall, Marsh Harbour. My mother moved to Nassau when she married in Jan 1927 her schooldays sweetheart Clarie Lowe, so this photo date is after 1927 (or my mother would have been included) and before 1935 when Mana Russell Lowe died. In 1936, when Clarence & Vernie moved to Nassau, the group disbanded. I have grandmother letters to my mother during these years.

IDs: 1. Mana is my maternal grandmother Amana Delzie Russell married 1902 Austin O’Brien Lowe of Marsh Harbour.
    2. Mana’s younger sister Ruby Mae VERNIE Russell married 1899 Wm Clarence Bethel.
    3. Vernie Russell’s husband Clarence Bethel, father of #5 Gladys and #7 Chester Bethel.
    5. Gladys Bethel married my paternal great-uncle George Russell (youngest son Kenaz Russell at Marsh Hbr today.)
    6. Neva Lowe, sister of my dad Clarie Lowe (children of Eldred Lowe). Neva married Chester L Bethel.
    I have written more of this people story.

• May 13, 2019 at 8:32 am

Hi, Joy. This is terrific information. Thanks so much!

• May 13, 2019 at 8:32 am

P.S. I have some more Marsh Harbour pics with unknown people — will post them in the coming weeks and would love your input!

3. Linda Bumpers
    May 13, 2019 at 10:09 am

Hi Amanda,

I am not sure if any of these Albury’s are related to me but I love seeing these old pictures of ancestors I had no idea about until a couple years ago.

The ones that has become most interesting to me is John “Old John” Albury and his mother Mercy Roberts. By chance, do you happen to know anything about those two…occupation…any tales that were told? What exactly was his part in Hope Town Settlement…did he come from Harbour Island and bring his family…anything that would give me a glimpse into the people they were. Also…do you happen to know anything about the part John Roberts (would love to find out for certain if he is one of my John’s) played in Hope Town?

I can’t wait to see Fish Hook in July! Hope you and Alton will be there….would love to see and chat with you both awhile.

Thanks for sharing this photo …. are there more photos of the Alburys?

All the best, Linda

• May 20, 2019 at 6:27 am

Hi, Linda. I’ll have to check my files to see what I might have about “Old John” Albury and Mercy Roberts. Are you in touch with Joy Jossi? She might have some good information. Will send you an email with more info.

A.