Reader Q&A – Anyone Recognize This Book?

Does Anyone Recognize This Book About Abaco

I received the following query from a reader yesterday. I don’t know the book she describes. Does anyone recognize it?

“I purchased a book many years ago written by a German woman who traveled to the Abacos with her husband who was a doctor. I’m guessing around 1940s. She died before she finished it. Her daughter found the manuscript and finished the book. I loved reading the book so much I passed it around to a friend and who passed it to a friend and so on. I cannot remember the title or author. I wonder if you can help. Love to track it down.”

If you know the name and/or author of the book she’s looking for, please respond in the comment section below. Thanks!

10 comments for “Reader Q&A – Anyone Recognize This Book?

1. Angie Paul
    July 23, 2018 at 9:47 am

I read two top ones when wetayed on TC. Island doctor was about a man who would go island to island . He lived in that house that looked like a castle that you can see friend mh. I heard it was a museum rub by his daughter.

The wings book was written by a man who had fiundrd TC I believe. Been a while so I hope I am correct

• Allan Curry
      July 25, 2018 at 12:34 pm

I Think that was Dr Cottman…..With the Castle.

2. Mark Bailey
    July 23, 2018 at 11:04 am

It’s on Amazon.

3. Marvine
    July 23, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Dr. Gottlieb?

4. Reggie
    July 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Amanda, could this have been “Angel, stand by me” by Owanta Gottlieb? She and her husband, Dr. Ejnar Gottlieb, showed up in Pine Ridge, GB, about 1947 or 8. He was the doctor hired by the lumber company. They moved to Abaco about 1959, when Owens Illinois moved the whole operation to Abaco. The description given by the person doesn’t quite fit, but I have never heard of anything else similar, and I have read many books about Abaco over the years. BTW, did you ever read ‘Jingo, wild horse of Abaco’? Been out of print for years, but a good read, talks about life on GTC and north Abaco about 60 years ago; I read it when I was a child in the 1960s.

5. joylowejossi
    July 23, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Like Reggie, the description given brought to my mind the Gottliebs…

6. July 24, 2018 at 6:56 am

Sand in my shoes : a collection of island stories

By Marina Gottlieb Sarles

7. July 24, 2018 at 10:09 am

Sand in my shoes : a collection of island stories
    by Marina Gottlieb Sarles
    Publisher: Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas IM Publ. 2005

8. peterebay
    July 24, 2018 at 10:10 am

Sand in my shoes : a collection of island stories
    by Marina Gottlieb Sarles
    Publisher: Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas IM Publ. 2005

9. Priscilla W
    July 24, 2018 at 11:54 am

I think there was a book called Angel Stand By Me by Mrs. Gottlieb?

Sent from my iPad