Green Turtle Cay in Days Gone By

So I’m finally getting around to unpacking the last of the boxes from our move from Washington, D.C. back to Los Angeles last December. In one of them, I found the photographs below, taken in Green Turtle Cay during the summer of 1984.

The first image is of the top of the public (cannon) dock in town. The white house with pink trim is Carolyn Cash’s house, prior to the addition of its covered front porch.

Public Dock in New Plymouth, Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas.

Below, the Plymouth Rock Liquor Store and Cafe is the green building at left, with the Barclay’s Bank branch behind it. Gotta love those vivid 1970s colours!

The settlement of New Plymouth, Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas.

Any guesses as to who the children are in the photo below?

The settlement of New Plymouth - Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas

Clearly, the roads hadn’t yet been widened (you think they’re narrow now!) Another thing you may notice is how few golf carts and cars there were in town at that time.

Settlement Creek shore, Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas.

And of course, below is Fish Hooks! My great-grandmother, May (Gates) Curry, had passed away just a few months before these pictures were taken, so the flowers in the yard were what remained of her once-lush garden.

Fish Hooks Cottage, Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas.

Anyone else have old Green Turtle Cay photos they’d like to share? If so, email them to me at amanda (at) littlehousebytheferry (dot) com. Save

8 comments for “Green Turtle Cay in Days Gone By

1. Molly Keels
    November 7, 2017 at 7:17 am

Amanda, in the picture with the children is also the boat my husband built, Spoof, probably on it’s first trip to GTC, he used it to bring supplies over to the house he built in Black Sound. I am sure everyone remembers Spoof, she spent many happy years exploring the waters of the Bahamas, I have her still.
    Molly Keels

• November 7, 2017 at 11:43 am

Hi, Molly. Thanks for getting in touch, and thanks for the information! Is Spoof the vessel closest to the top at left?

2. Angie Paul
    November 7, 2017 at 9:46 am

Great pictures thanks for sharing

3. Gina L Roberts Knowles
    November 9, 2017 at 6:50 am

The other house in the picture with your grandmothers house Fish Hooks is my grandfathers house. It isn’t there any longer. We have so many memories in that house. Love seeing all of the old pictures. Thanks so much for sharing.

• November 10, 2017 at 1:25 am

Hi, Gina. Thanks for your note. I remember the other house – it was only torn down in the past decade or so, I think… maybe a bit longer. Was your granddad Herbert Roberts?

• Gina Knowles
        November 10, 2017 at 11:12 am

You are welcome. Yeah, sometime in the last 5-10 years. Yes, Herbert Roberts was my grandad.

• November 10, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Yes, that sounds about right. Did you know your grandfather? I hear his name a lot around town, but I know very little about him.