August 12, 2045: Mark it in Your Calendar!

What are you doing on Saturday afternoon, August 12, 2045? Yes, I know. It’s twenty-eight years away. And though Tom might beg to differ, I don’t normally plan so far in advance.

On August 12, 2045, the Northern Bahamas will experience a total solar eclipse. I'll be there. Will you?

But on August 12, 2045, the next total solar eclipse will cross the continental U.S.  The eclipse’s path of totality will run parallel to that of the August 21, 2017 eclipse, but further south, meaning it will pass directly over the northern Bahamas! With the period of totality lasting longer than six minutes, it will be the fourth longest eclipse of the 21st century.

Unfortunately, I was in Los Angeles on August 21, and we noticed very little effect from the solar eclipse. But Tom and others who were in the path of totality have raved about what an amazing experience it was, and I’m determined to experience at least one eclipse in my lifetime. And I can’t imagine a more ideal spot from which to view it than the porch at Fish Hooks.

The 2045 eclipse is scheduled to peak about 1:45 p.m., which gives us time to meet for an early lunch beforehand. Do we have a date?

10 comments for “August 12, 2045: Mark it in Your Calendar!

1. November 2, 2017 at 12:09 pm

In the diary! Thanks so much for the heads-up. I’ll be just getting ready to celebrate my 94th birthday…

• November 2, 2017 at 12:57 pm

We’ll have to have an eclipse party!

Liked by 1 person

• November 2, 2017 at 12:59 pm

I suppose it is possible that my personal eclipse may preclude my attendance…

• November 2, 2017 at 1:00 pm

No! Don’t say that. By 2045, I’m hoping we’ll all be able to look forward to reaching at least 150 years old. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Cathy
    November 2, 2017 at 6:38 pm

OK, I will be 92 but what the heck, I will mark it in my calendar. Save me a bedroom

• November 2, 2017 at 6:41 pm

It’s a date. As I said to someone who complained she would be 95 in 2045, by then I expect science to have made it possible for humans to live to 150. So 92 will be the new 50! 😉

3. Charles Cox
    November 2, 2017 at 11:03 pm

I will be there. I will be 96. Save me a dance, Angie.

4. November 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Humm, I’ll be 95! Yikes! Will you buy me lunch if I make it?

• November 10, 2017 at 9:56 pm

You bet! It’s a date. (Besides, as I said to someone else, by then, I expect science to have progressed so that we’ll all be living until 150 – so 95 will be the new 50.) 🙂