Anyone Know What This Is?

IMG_1555 22Walking with Wrigley one morning at Gillam Bay, I spotted what looked like a fig. Having never seen a fresh fig anywhere in Abaco — let alone on the beach — I took a closer look. Upon inspection, I realized that though the item resembles a fig, it’s in fact very hard, as if it’s made of wood. It’s about 2″ long.

Knowing that “sea beans” are often found on the shores of the cay, I Googled them. And while I learned a lot – did you know there’s an annual International Sea-Bean Symposium focusing on sea beans, drift seeds and other flotsam?! — I couldn’t find any sea beans or drift seeds that looked like this.

Any suggestions as to what this might be?

18 comments for “Anyone Know What This Is?

1. Melissa Maura
    March 8, 2016 at 3:03 am

Good morning! πŸ™‚ I believe it is indeed classified as a sea bean, and I have found several over the years on out island beaches. I went with 4 avid sea beaning ladies to Mexico on a cruise and and the ladies knew them and coveted them. Sadly I cannot remember what they are called… πŸ™‚

• March 8, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Hi, Melissa. It may very well be a sea bean — I just can’t find images of any sea beans that look like it. If you recall at some point what they’re called, let me know. Makes me crazy not to know things. πŸ˜‰

2. March 8, 2016 at 3:05 am

Erm, not sure but a suggestion might be a washed-up, sun-dried manchineel fruit, in which case… well, look it up. Highly poisonous, though presumably not in the state you found it. Never heard of one on Abaco, but they grow in Florida and the Carib, so maybe carried on the current from a more toxic place. Just a guess and probably well wide of the mark. RH

• March 8, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Hi, RH. Hmmm… I looked into manchineel fruit, and I don’t think that’s what it is. The manchineel fruit is more round (kind of like an apple or tomato.) This thing is much pointier at one end than the other. Perplexing.

Liked by 1 person

3. March 8, 2016 at 3:38 am

Is it a hazelnut?

• March 8, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Hi, Marlandphotos. I don’t think so. It’s much larger than a hazelnut.

• March 9, 2016 at 3:15 am

I wondered if it wasn’t maybe the size of a coconut! πŸ™‚

4. March 8, 2016 at 9:50 am

The pods from Invasion of the Body Snatchers? πŸ˜‰

5. linda waller
    March 8, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Myra might know

6. Maggie Rende
    March 8, 2016 at 6:40 pm

They are called Sea Coconuts – I have three still in a pod. They can be polished and are amazing in the variations of colors and patterns

• March 14, 2016 at 9:36 am

Maggie, you are right! I did a little research and that appears to be exactly what this is. Thanks for the tip!!

• Maggie Rende
        March 14, 2016 at 10:17 am

You are welcome – glad I could help. We are very big collectors of things from the sea bean family

7. March 10, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Maybe this http://www.iloveshelling.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Sea-Beans-in-Scallop.jpg it looks like the correct shape, but not as big.

8. March 10, 2016 at 6:39 pm

There are a couple that approximate your description here: http://www.seabean.com/guide/

9. Maggie Rende