From My Grandmother’s Kitchen: Guava Cobbler

bahamas, abaco, green turtle cay, guava, cobblerWhen we were young, there was a guava tree in my grandparents’ yard. My brother, my cousins and I would climb it and sit on a branch, stuffing ourselves. What we didn’t eat, my grandmother would turn into guava jam and jelly, sweet stewed guavas (served with dumplings and salty fried fish) and steamed guava duff.

My Mom makes a great guava cobbler – a yummy mix of sweet fruit, fluffy cake and a hint of buttery crunch. Recently, I asked for a copy of her recipe. When I received it, I realized two things – how easy it is to make, and that it’s in my grandmother’s handwriting. Another great recipe from Ma’s kitchen!

Guava Cobbler

2 cups peeled, sliced guava shells  (1.5 – 2 pounds guavas)*
1 tablespoon lemon juice*
1 ¾ cups sugar*

8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) butter, diced
¾ cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ cup milk

Cook guava, lemon juice and 1 cup sugar over moderate heat until fruit softens.

(* Note:  if, like me, you can’t find fresh guavas, use canned and skip the above step. Just drain and slice a 14-16 oz can of guava shells and continue below.)

Preheat oven to 350F. Put butter in a casserole dish and place in the oven to melt. In a small mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup sugar, ¾ cup flour, ¾ cup milk and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Stir until smooth.

Pour this batter over the melted butter – do not stir. Gently spoon fruit over top – again, do not stir.  (As you can see in the photo below, it’s not pretty at this stage. But have faith.)

bahamas, abaco, green turtle cay, guava

Bake 25-30 minutes, or until cake sets and the top is golden brown.

bahamas, cooking, guava

The recipe recommends serving with brandy sauce, but we’ve always eaten this drizzled with egg sauce (beat together 1 raw egg, a few drops of vanilla and sugar to taste.) It’s also good with ice cream, especially if the cobbler is still warm.

8 comments for “From My Grandmother’s Kitchen: Guava Cobbler

1. Angie
    June 12, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Sounds and looks so yummy

2. Glenda Archer
    June 15, 2015 at 3:56 pm

As much as I’m thankful for the recipe for the Guava Cobbler, could you post a recipe for steamed Guava Duff? My Mother-in-Law was born in the Bahamas’s and I once had her recipe for Guava Duff but it was lost in moving. Would love to have it again. Thanks for you help!

• June 15, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Hi, Glenda. Thanks for your note! Doing a blog post about steamed guava duff is on my list — I’m just trying to perfect the recipe first. But stay tuned…

3. July 2, 2015 at 11:07 am

This recipe sounds, great! It’s a blessing to have such great recipes passed down through generations. I love how simple and quick it is too….the good ole Bahamian ‘slam bam’ way of cooking! 🙂

4. September 9, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Praying for all you good folks in the Bahamas.

• September 28, 2017 at 11:43 pm

Thanks, Ken. Fortunately, Abaco escaped the worst of the storm. Sadly, our Bahamian countrymen to the south weren’t so lucky.

5. Chris
    September 28, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I was wondering don’t you take the seeds out before cooking the guavas? Why boil the guavas before using in the cobbler? Be too tough if you didn’t? Thanks

• September 28, 2017 at 11:41 pm

Hi, Chris. Yes, you peel the guavas and remove the seeds and pulp around them. You’ll be left with shells, which is what you boil. Yes, they’d be tough — and potentially sour — without boiling them down with sugar. If you try this recipe, let me know how it works out! 🙂