The Best Laid Plans…

Well over a year ago, I spotted this bird feeder in a store in Pasadena and had to have it. Pineapples are a traditional Loyalist symbol of hospitality, and I thought this one would look great in the garden at Fish Hooks.bahamas, abaco, green turtle cay, birds, bird feeder, pineappleI bought the feeder, wrapped it in a mountain of tissue paper and piles of packing popcorn, and shipped it all the way from L.A. to Green Turtle Cay. Once I arrived and had settled in, I took the ferry from the cay to the Abaco mainland and drove 30 minutes each way to Marsh Harbour to buy a hook from which to hang the feeder, and seeds with which to fill it.

This past Saturday afternoon, I walked around the garden, looking for just the perfect place to hang it. I finally decided on a spot not too close to the house (my Mom says birdseed can attract vermin) and yet within view of the kitchen.

I poured in the birdseed, placed the feeder on the hook and waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

Three days later, a grand total of ZERO birds have shown interest.

Ungrateful wretches.

18 comments for “The Best Laid Plans…

1. June 2, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Hi my friend from a long past ago! if you put a piece of fruit in the top part of your feeder you know where the frinds of the pineapple are, you may be able to attract the birds. Just put a small piece of orange or something there. That is what we do here to attract birds at first.

S

• June 2, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Hi, Shawn! Great to hear from you. Hope you are well. Thanks for the tip — I’ll definitely give it a try. There are so many little birds around here. We’d love to have some of them come and visit. 🙂 Will let you know how it works out.

2. linda waller
    June 2, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Maybe you can try a hummingbird feeder?

• June 2, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Linda, that’s next on my list. I did hear today that a lot of the local birds are nectar drinkers, so that might work better. Will keep you posted. 🙂

3. K Roberts
    June 2, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Guess they don’t like pineapples !!! It’s a GREAT piece of ART !!

• June 2, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I guess not! Crazy birds. Oh, well, luckily I love the feeder either way…maybe I’ll bring it inside and fill it with human treats. 🙂

4. June 2, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Sometimes it takes a while for them to start on a new feeder. Hope they find yours soon!

5. Reggie Patterson
    June 2, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Amanda
    In time, your feeder will attract such things as House Sparrows, Redwing Blackbirds, Tobacco Doves, etc. It takes a while. If you lived year round on GTC, then in the winter you might even attract Painted Buntings, which are especially beautiful. But since you’re here only for a limited time, try a hummingbird feeder, and you could also put out brown sugar for the Bananaquits; they love this.

Reggie

• June 4, 2015 at 7:15 am

Thanks for the tips, Reggie. I’m going to pick up a hummingbird feeder to bring with me next time, and see what that might attract. Will also put out a bit of brown sugar for the Bananaquits, and I’ll let you know what happens. Great to finally have a chance to meet you at the festival!

6. Ralph
    June 2, 2015 at 4:46 pm

It is indeed a beautiful feeder. Silly birds

Ralph

• June 4, 2015 at 7:14 am

I know! Well, if they never come to visit, I still have a pretty garden ornament. 🙂

7. June 2, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Don’t worry! The birds will find the seed and then watch out! After a couple of days you will have to refill it every other day! I found out they also love oranges!

• June 4, 2015 at 7:13 am

Thanks, Allyse. I didn’t know about oranges — will pick up one today and give it a try.

8. Robert
    June 2, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Amanda, just sprinkle a small amount of the bird seed on the ground directly below the feeder. The Tobacco Doves (Ground Doves) will eventually find it. Once they do, they will be daily visitors. Good luck.

9. June 2, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Amanda – It appears, from your picture, that the feeder is hanging close to the ground. Given the number of cats, not to mention other potential bird predators, around your cottage this may be a deterrent for the birds. Before you give up in hanging it outside you might try suspending it from something higher off the ground – perhaps about 6-8 feet up. I know that makes it harder to fill but it’s what was necessary in my yard. If you go with a hummingbird feeder it will definitely need to be placed higher. Good luck!

• June 4, 2015 at 7:12 am

Great tip, Gayle. If the birds don’t start visiting soon, I’ll try raising the height of the feeder.

10. Gina C-P
    June 2, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Birds eat whatever bugs, seeds, grasses, insects and native fruit they can find. They sure love the fruit of our Barbados Cherry tree! Was picking a bowlful a few days ago and a noisy thrasher on an overhead wire was not happy at all. ‘Rowing’ me for fruit on the tree I planted; told him, yes, I was leaving some for him too so he could calm down 🙂