Mo-Mo's Sweet Dreams

Counter 4 r

Since she was in the ninth grade, Green Turtle Cay’s Melissa Albury (or Mo-Mo, as she’s known to friends) has dreamed of opening a bakery. Now, just seven years later, she’s achieved that goal, opening Mo-Mo’s Suga’ Shack in the heart of New Plymouth.

Tempted by the yummy smells wafting through town, Tom and I dropped in for breakfast on opening day last Monday. On display was a wide assortment of freshly baked cakes, cookies, donuts, cupcakes, cinnamon buns, pastries and bread. Hot and cold drinks were also available.

After much deliberation, we each selected a jam blossom pastry and we shared a glazed donut. We also bought a loaf of fresh-baked bread (which, incidentally, was still fresh three days later) and cupcakes as a gift for our hosts at a dinner party that evening. All were delicious.

Cupcakes r

Though Melissa’s name is on the sign, Mo-Mos’s Suga’ Shack is really a family venture. Her dad helped set up the shop and the fixtures, while her mom, Linda, was present on opening day to help staff the shop. And many of Melissa’s recipes were handed down from her grandmother, Esther Bethel who, in recent weeks has traveled from her home in Marsh Harbour to share her culinary secrets with her granddaughter.

Three Generations

Three Generations: (L-R) Esther Bethel, her daughter Linda Albury, and her granddaughter, Melissa (Mo-Mo) Albury, proprietor of Mo-Mo’s Suga’ Shack.

Above and beyond my own sweet tooth, I love this story for a couple of reasons. It’s terrific to see a young local entrepreneur working hard to bring her vision to life. (And is she ever working hard — several times last week we spotted her in the bakery late in the evening.) It’s also wonderful that her grandmother Esther’s treasured family recipes are being passed down to, and enjoyed by, a new generation.

Melissa says that this is only the beginning. There are dozens of recipes she’s eager to try. And in the near future, she plans to expand her offering to include fresh-baked rolls, sandwiches and a variety of savoury items.

Counter 3 r

Open Monday through Saturday, Mo-Mo’s Suga’ Shack is located in the beautiful and historic Pink Pearl building on Parliament Street, directly across from the Albert Lowe Museum.

12 comments for “Mo-Mo's Sweet Dreams

1. Gina C-P
    February 10, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Enjoyed reading this and looking at the wonderful photos. I love the idea of three generations of recipes and baking. Congratulations to Melissa, who I do not know, on taking the chance of making her longtime dream come true. Best wishes for a successful venture.

• February 10, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Thanks for your note, Gina. I didn’t know Melissa until we dropped into the bakery, but I, too, love the idea of three generations working together. She, her Mom and her grandmother are all lovely, and I think it’s great that her family has supported her dream. I’ll pass along your kind wishes to her.

2. Stephen Albury
    February 10, 2014 at 5:17 pm

When is she going to open a branch in Nassau? 🙂

3. Molly McIntosh
    February 10, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Great article Amanda, sorry I missed you today. I am going to try to call you tomorrow so we can set up a play date! I have a wedding on Sunday, not sure which beach, I am thinking Gillam Bay but the bride arrives tomorrow and will decide for sure.

• February 11, 2014 at 4:55 am

Thanks, Molly. Sorry we missed each other yesterday. Give me a shout today, but if we don’t connect, I’ll try to pop in again at the club later in the week. Have you been to Gillam Bay lately? Not sure where they’d get married there now, given the erosion to the beach. 😦

4. linda waller
    February 11, 2014 at 4:27 am

i will definitely b visiting the Sugar Shack in March!! looking forward to seeing Melissa again, too

5. February 11, 2014 at 6:06 am

Good luck to Melissa with her new business venture! 🙂

6. Karen
    February 11, 2014 at 10:59 am

Congratulations to MoMo. We will visit in March. What are her hours? Thanks.

• February 12, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Hi, Karen. Thanks for your comment. I don’t think she’s set her permanent hours as yet. But over the last week, she’s been open from reasonably early in the morning (8 or 9) until about 5pm, I think. If she lets me know once she’s set her hours, I’ll update this post.

7. February 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

I’m sure they are using the right flour….Robin Hood 🙂

8. February 18, 2014 at 6:09 am

How exciting! Good luck, it looks like such a great bakery. You go girl, enjoy it and just have a blast. : )