Bucket List Beaches

Treasure Cay Beach, Abaco, Bahamas Treasure Cay Beach, Abaco, Bahamas

Recently, I came across a Huffington Post article about the world’s bluest beaches. This piece is essentially a ready-made bucket list for me, since I love beaches of all kinds, in all seasons and in all sorts of weather. It’s entirely possible that I’m biased, of course, but I think the Bahamian out islands have some of the most spectacular, unspoiled beaches in the world. So does National Geographic,  which named Abaco’s Treasure Cay beach (pictured above) one of the 10 most beautiful on the planet.

Below are a few more of my favourite Bahamian beaches. What about you? Where’s your favourite beach?

27 comments for “Bucket List Beaches

1. November 11, 2013 at 12:16 am

Great shots to ease the chilly weather!

2. November 11, 2013 at 4:07 am

Mmmmmm. How very lucky, though, that there are other beaches that don’t receive the publicity. No bars or pretty umbrellas, maybe. And few, or no, people either. Apart from Rolling Harbour itself (of course), C@su@r!n@ (shhhhh) takes some beating I reckon. And you can fish there! RH

3. November 11, 2013 at 8:46 am

oh gawd I was so enthralled with your pictures that I caught my hand inching towards the phone (I have 3 airlines on speed-dial 🙂 ) already forming my excuses to the boss as to why her call display showed me in the Bahamas.
    One of my fav beaches was on the north coast of Zanzibar, I believe bliss was conceived there… though she may have been birthed on Treasure Cay beach.
    As I look out to a grey, cold Nov. day in Vancouver, I thank you for that little bit of warmth.

• November 11, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Hi, Traveling Crone. Thanks for dropping by. I’m so glad you enjoyed the photos – I know first-hand how grey Vancouver can be this time of year. I recently saw some photos of Zanzibar beaches — easy to see why they’d be top of your list! Hope to see them in person one of these days…. Hang in there — 6 more weeks and the days begin to get longer again.

• November 11, 2013 at 11:43 pm

In 54 days it’s going to get really hot… when I am in Guatemala! No beaches but I’ll deal.:)

4. November 11, 2013 at 10:12 am

Favorite beach? Wow, that’s a good question. If I had to pick just one, I’d probably have to go with Jolly Beach in Antigua. It’s a long, crescent shaped beach with powdery white sand, clear blue water, beautiful sunsets, a view of Montserrat and just enough activitiy to keep you from getting bored. Plus a full service marina is just a few steps away.

• November 11, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Hi, BBB. I’ve not been to Jolly Beach, but sounds like it’s got all the beach bells and whistles. 🙂 Are there lots of people, though? For me, if there are more than 3 or 4 other beings on the beach, it’s too crowded for me.

• November 12, 2013 at 1:49 pm

North of Castaways is pretty deserted because it’s fronted by private residences. South is busier because of the resorts. You’d like the north end – hardly ever saw anyone down there.

5. November 11, 2013 at 10:12 am

Love this in one week I’ll be in Abaco! Wahoooo

6. November 11, 2013 at 10:13 am

In one week I’ll be in Abaco can’t wait 🙂

7. linda waller
    November 11, 2013 at 3:41 pm

too hard! it’s like asking which is your favorite child, LOL !! i try to love all the isles, but am awfully partial to the privacy & proximity of House on the Point

8. November 11, 2013 at 6:14 pm

If I didn’t like you so much, I could hate you for posting these during the rainy season. 🙂

• November 11, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Oh, no. I thought the rainy season was the best time to post them — a little encouragement to get you through the season. No?

• November 15, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I want to be sipping a a drink with a tiny umbrella in it while sitting on one. I think the only thing that gets me through the rainy season is Valium. And wrapping myself in a blanket fresh out of the dryer.

• November 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Yes, I recall many rainy autumns in Vancouver… beach photos always seemed to help. Hang in there – spring has to come some time.

9. November 12, 2013 at 9:27 am

Came across this recent piece on more “best beaches.” Guess the cooler weather has everyone thinking about sun, sand and sea. 🙂 http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com/2013/10/21/10-of-the-best-beaches-on-the-planet/#comment-799582

10. South
    November 12, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Not as picturesque but the ocean side long beach on Powell Cay will always be my favourite – on one walk we found over 70 sand dollars on the shore

• November 20, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Hi, South. Thanks for your comment. I haven’t been to Powell Cay — must add it to the list as the beach sounds amazing. Now if only you could spend those dollars in a store. 🙂

11. Ann Carmel
    November 15, 2013 at 8:43 am

When you grow up in the Bahamas, selecting wonderful, or favourite beaches, is a real challenge. My choices include Moriah Harbour Cay, which has miles of the most beautiful, pristine, and almost always deserted, beaches in the world. (Some of them with shells.) It is located off of George Town, Exuma. And it is has protected status. Eleuthera has gorgeous beaches. And a sentimental pick is the beach at Briland – although it has too many people (except at sunrise and sunset).

• November 20, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Oooh, Ann, thanks for the tip about Moriah Harbour Cay. I’ve not been there, but I’ve heard that Exuma has some amazing beaches. Must plan to get there one day soon. I agree with you about too many people — to me, any more than 4 human beings on a beach is “too crowded.” 🙂

12. November 18, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I’ve never been to Abaco, but this post bring back wonderful memories of some wonderful beaches on Andros.

• November 20, 2013 at 11:59 am

I’ve not been to Andros, but it’s on my list to see one day. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

13. November 19, 2013 at 7:29 am

Wow – these are some great shots and some beaches I never heard of before. Getting inspired here….