Photo Exhibit Documents 40 Years of Cay History

museum 3Each time I visit Green Turtle Cay’s Albert Lowe Museum, I uncover something I previously missed (like this photo), or I discover some recently added treasure. During my most recent visit, I found an entire new exhibition to explore.

To commemorate the 40th anniversary of Bahamian independence, the museum has assembled an extensive collection of photographs documenting key cultural events on Green Turtle Cay during the past four decades.

Photo by Tom Walters

New Photo Exhibit at Albert Lowe Museum
Photo by Tom Walters

The first series of images focuses on the museum’s founding and formal opening in 1976, while another details the history and implementation of the first Island Roots Heritage Festivals, held in Green Turtle Cay and sister city, Key West, in 1977. The third part of the exhibit commemorates the development and unveiling of the cay’s Loyalist Memorial Sculpture Garden, a Bahamian national monument.

Another group of photos features the celebrations marking the 1985 bicentennial of the arrival of British Loyalists on nearby Elbow Cay. Included in the festivities was a re-enactment of the 1785 landing of my great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother, Wyannie Malone, said to have founded the settlement of Hope Town.

The Bahamian 40th Anniversary photo exhibition will be available for viewing in the Wreckers’ Gallery of the Albert Lowe Museum through December 30th, 2013.

Photo by Tom Walters

Photo by Tom Walters

Related Posts:

Putting Names to Faces

Latrine Excavation Yields Curious Artifacts

10 comments for “Photo Exhibit Documents 40 Years of Cay History

1. Gina C-P
    August 3, 2013 at 4:19 am

WOW! What detailed exhibits and displays! Comparable to museum displays abroad. Does Nassau even have anything comparable? Sadly, nothing I can think of.

• August 3, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Hi, Gina. Thanks for your comment. Yes, the folks at the museum have put a lot of hours into assembling the museum’s displays. Will pass your comments along — I’m sure they’ll appreciate them. No, I don’t know of anything similar in Nassau. It’s a shame.

2. October 12, 2013 at 5:46 am

At Gina I discovered a historical place in Nassau on Shirley Street across from Princess Margaret Emergency Room.

• Gina C-P
      October 13, 2013 at 5:17 am

Yes, Donald I think it’s called The Bahamas Historical Society. Was there once many years ago. Just remember it been dusty and old (sorry). Seems like only a handful of people even know it’s exists. Met someone who said they’re trying to let the public know they’re out there, but I don’t know.

• October 13, 2013 at 6:17 am

Gina and Donald, is that the organization that’s in the old IODE Hall on Shirley Street? I’ve tried going there several times over the years, but they’ve never been open.

• Gina C-P
        October 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Yes, that’s the place! Might be wrong but I think it’s just people who volunteer their time; I really don’t know if they have ‘regular hours’.

• October 14, 2013 at 8:58 am

I figured as much. It’s too bad, though, because as I say, I’ve tried to go there/contact them several times with no response. 😦 Hopefully one of these days I’ll be able to get in…